Recent Posts

Tray Chic

I have to admit, I really love Martha Stewart's style.  The photographs in her magazine along with all of her great vignettes (especially for the holidays) are beautiful...and usually leave me drooling. Her craft ideas are sometimes a different story, though.  Hers always turn out beautifully, but mine never make the cut.  

I could blame this on my own {lacking} abilities, but I consider myself a pretty decent crafter and always follow her instructions to the T.  This leads me to believe that accomplishing the same outcome that she does {supposedly} might require extra help.  Really, I think she uses very specific materials that aren't easy to come by and lists "substitutes" that might work {but usually don't}. 


Anyway!  All of this to say, I think I might have found a craft idea of hers that could actually work!
 Check out this great tray!
It's made out of a cookie sheet and fabric!  Listed below are the steps  {according to Martha}

  • 1 yard decorative fabric
  • Aluminum rimmed baking sheet
  • Spray adhesive
  • Scissors
  • Fabric glue
  • Synthetic felt
  • 1/4-inch-thick acrylic sheet cut to fit inside of tray, with corners rounded
1. Cut fabric large enough to cover the front and wrap around the back of the baking tray. Cover the front of the tray with spray adhesive.

2. Place fabric on tray so pattern is aligned, leaving enough room to wrap fabric around all sides to the back. Smooth fabric onto tray, pressing out any bubbles.

3. Pull any extra material into corner and push around the edge. Turn tray over. Cover the back of the tray with spray adhesive.

4. Press the fabric over two edges of the tray first, then fold in on each remaining side, as if wrapping a gift. Trim any excess fabric with scissors. Use fabric glue to secure, if needed.

5. Cut a piece of felt to fit the back of the tray and conceal fabric edges. Smooth felt on the back the tray.

6. Place acrylic sheet in center of tray.
If you need a visual, watch the video here.

It looks simple enough, right?  We'll see, Martha. We'll see.

Happy Tuesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails