Recent Posts

Jewelry Week: Using Jewelry as Decoration, Part 3

Ahh, the third and final installment of Jewelry Week.  Well, this one is probably my favorite, so I guess I saved the best for last.

There is a local craft show here that's held twice a year---and, you know craft shows, there's everything from Christmas decorations to homemade soap (I loooooooooooove homemade soap, by the way--it's totally a guilty pleasure.).  Anyway, there is also tons of jewerly at the show, and about 90% of it is way overpriced, although oftentimes very tempting.

On a side note--has anyone ever heard of Yen's Little Things?--It's handmade jewelry made with something old/antique and something new.  I loved her stuff when I saw it at a craft show, but haven't been able to track it down recently.  I have a couple of pieces, but would love more.  She has a blog, but it hasn't been updated recently.  Here is some of her work. Can you see why I'm in love?


 










Ok, back to my point; In my perusing for a deal on some crafty jewelry, I stopped at one vendor's tent and saw a unique way to display earrings.  So, I noted the idea and tried it on my own at a later date.  It's really easy to make, if you have good wire cutters and a staple gun.  The first time I did it, I didn't have either and my hands were sore for days.  Take my advice and save yourself the pain.

The steps are as follows:

1. Find a cute frame that you can staple into.  Don't get something metal--it would be very difficult to get a staple into that, even from a staple gun.

2. Paint it, if you'd like, or leave it the way it is. Mine is pretty simple. I didn't change it at all.

3. Take out all of the glass and backing so that you're left with the frame only.

4. Purchase some chicken wire (I got a pretty big roll at Lowes for fairly cheap...and even though you'll have extra, these make great gifts, so keep it, you might use it again.)

4. Cut the chicken wire with the wire cutters to a size about an inch larger than your picture opening (this gives you enough of an extra edge to attach it to the back of the frame while keeping it hidden from view)...you can eye it to see about how much you need.  Go bigger rather than smaller since you can always trim it down later.

5. Staple the chicken wire (as taunt as possible) to the back of the main portion of the frame with the staples spaced about 3 inches apart.  Don't try to staple it to the little lip that holds in the matte and glass; it'll just be frustrating and it's not necessary (I've tried it.)

6. Hook your earrings on it and put it on display!  I lean mine against a wall--I didn't try to hang it, but you could try that, if you like.

Here is the end result.


Here are some other versions of the same idea.

I love this frame!
 
Ooooo....and this one, too!

This one uses strung wire instead of the chicken wire backing...I like it!

Here is a cute way to hang it.  Ribbon is always a yes!-idea.

If you decide that you'd rather buy one, check out Jewelry Art
She has all kinds of super cute ways to use jewelry as decoration.  Her earring holders have lattice backing instead of chicken wire--it definitely softens the look of the display.


You may have already seen this before and tried it on your own.  If so, please feel free to email your own version at jenna.roebke@gmail.com.  I would love to post some of your work on here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails