Recent Posts

DIY Coasters

Tuesday is a good day for a fun, easy little project that I really enjoyed doing myself.  

When we got married, I needed coasters for our home, but I wanted to find some really cute and unique ones without paying a lot of money.  I'd been given one set, but wanted a second and I just couldn't find the perfect ones.  
A few months after we got married, my husband had to travel to San Antonio for business, so I went with him. Since I'd never been to Texas (which, I loved, by the way), we spent a couple of extra days there, after he was done with work stuff, and got to explore the city.  I found this booth with tons and tons of hand-painted, glazed tiles.  They were meant mainly for house number marking but, since we didn't own a house yet, I was bummed that I didn't have a use for any of them.  Then, it dawned on me that I could easily make the tiles into coasters!  I didn't want them to look exactly alike, so I picked out 4 that worked together and, when I got home, I went to work!
 I had a roll of cork leftover from another project, so I measured the tiles and then cut out squares of cork to attach to the underside.  
I'm sure I used some sort of white glue that wouldn't glob-up when it dried so that the bottom surface would stay as even as possible.  As you can probably tell, the tiles weren't perfectly flat to begin with, so the coasters are a little wobbly.  I've never had any problems with them, though, and I think it kindof adds to the charm.  But, if you decide to do this project, check to make sure the tiles are even.

Here are some other cute ideas for DIY Coasters:
Apartment Therapy  (this includes the how-to)

These are made from cocktail napkins!

Vinyl Coasters
(Includes how-to)

Felt Coasters
Whip Up (includes how-to)

Rubber Coasters
Design Sponge (includes how-to)


Have a terrific Tuesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails